Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

WOW!

Surreal. Amazing. Unique. Remarkable. Surprising. Astonishing. Outstanding. Gosh I am not sure how I could put it in words.

I loved every minute of reading this book. There are no words to perfectly describe how I felt as I was reading this.

Mara knew there was something wrong with her. She knew something was happening to her and she doesn’t know what.

Mara and her friends decided to stay in an abandoned asylum one night. The building collapsed killing her friends but she on the other hand miraculously survived.

She convinced her parents to move to get away from everything that has happened. She was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which was common for trauma patients but what her family doesn’t know that what she was experiencing was more than just PTSD.

Mara was seeing things. She gets nightmares. She hallucinates about her dead friends. You think that’s weird? That’s not the weird part. You will have to read the book to find out. :)

Mara was a great character. Not everyone could handle the trauma that she went through. Losing your friends like that could really push you through the edge. She was a strong person and I liked characters like that. I liked the way she talks. She has that I-won’t-take-crap-from-anyone kind of attitude and I liked that.

Then there’s Noah Shaw. My Noah! I found my new book BF! Ahaha. What makes Noah different apart from being good looking? Well he’s sweet and he is not a hypocrite. He was honest to Mara about everything even about sleeping with other girls (I think). He genuinely wanted to help her because he understood what she was going through. Noah was the type of guy I would fall head over heels in love with and seriously am right now. :)

I could understand why Mara’s mom was always looking after her. She wanted to protect Mara. She was a mother it was natural for her to feel protective of Mara. Her brother Daniel was so cool. I wish I had a brother like him too bad I’m the eldest. I liked her friend Jamie and I hope I get to see him in the next book. And as always there is the Queen Bitch. Hahaha. There would always be one and in this book it was Anna. If I met someone like her I would crush her skull myself (how morbid). Just kidding!

I think the book was well written. I could almost feel what Mara was feeling as I was reading. Ms. Hodkin wrote this book in a way that you would feel what the characters were feeling. Sometimes when Mara was having these hallucinations I could sometimes feel my heart pounding with excitement anticipating what would happen next.

For the ending, you have to watch out for the ending! It caught me by surprise. Honestly!

This book is definitely a favorite. I can’t wait for the next book. I give this book a perfect 5! 

No comments:

Post a Comment